Sunday, September 25, 2011

Cannonball

It looks as though the move to camp Beuhring is inevitable.  Although it's still a month away it seems to be approaching much too quickly.  I was up there yesterday so my 30 year veteran platoon sergeant could re-enlist!  He is crazy.  He'll have 36 years in after this contract is up.  He did get a $10k bonus (tax free) but I still don't know if that is worth 6 years.  Anyway I saw all three of the people I don't care to see ever.  The BN Commander, XO and CSM.  One word... ineffectual.  I've recently found out that our BN leadership was pretty much the sole reason that we didn't get sent to Afghanistan.  Call it a blessing in disguise or a travesty, either way it's sad they are in charge of so much.  Back to SFC P... he re-enlisted yesterday and a 3-star (Lieutenant General) swore him and a couple other guys in.  P has probably been in longer than the General!  We were sitting at the ECP (Entry Control Point) waiting to be called ahead so they could search the vehicle and all that jazz, btw TCNs (Third Country Nationals) search our vehicles... how much since does that make?  We were sitting there waiting and I see a couple Chevy Suburbans pull up behind us.  In the windshield was a red placard that read "PSD" which stands for Personal Security Detail.  Not long after they pulled up they just went around us as we sat there waiting to be called forward.  It was the PSD for the General.  I think the vehicle he was in was one of those up armored ones.  You couldn't even see in the back the window where so blacked out.  So about 5 minutes later we went through and proceeded on into Camp Beuhring.  It's crazy how different VIPs are treated.  They don't really do anything... they're more like a figure head.  They have their staff of other General, Colonels and Majors to do everything for them, and even those people have their staff.  It's a lot of "important" people who get paid a lot of money to make things tough for the little man.  I guess that's life though.    

Took a little trip down to Ali Al Salem today to take a swim in the pool.  I'm trying to give all the guys a chance to get down there before we move to Beuhring.  Those trips will not happen once we move up there.  They think that if you don't give soldiers any privileges what so ever they will be good.  Don't they know prohibition doesn't work?

The other evening I walked up to the QRF shack to grab the NTV so I could drive to the Chow Hall and everyone was running around all crazy.  They said they got a call for a UXO (Unexploded Ordnance) in Motor Pool 6 and they were heading that way.  I thought that might be in Austin's area back with the RPAT stuff, so I gave him a call.  He said "yea it's an old rusty Russian looking grenade".  I told him I was going to come out there to check it out.  So, on the way out there I had the QRF Humvees behind me with their flashing lights and I looked over and saw the fire trucks and EMS van driving up with their flashing lights.  The MP truck was already there and his flashing lights were on as well.  It was lit up like a Christmas Parade.  I walked up to Austin and he said, "Man if I would've known it was going to be this big of a deal I would have just kicked some dirt over it!"  Yea anything out of the ordinary around here is a big deal.  We had to wait a couple hours for EOD (Explosive Ordnance Disposal) to come from Camp Beuhring.  I thought they were going to get all dressed up like on the Hurt Locker but all they put on was their Kevlar Helmets and IOTV (Body Armor Vest).  The same stuff we have.  He picked it up and put it in an ammo can with sand in it.  That was pretty much it.  Kind of disappointing.  I'm not sure if I wanted the thing to blow up or what, but it was kind of lackluster.

Oh well I gotta go send some stuff on SIPR.  I hate SIPR they always us it for unclassified information.  It's retarded.

Here is a picture of me before the half-marathon probably taken about 04:30.

No comments:

Post a Comment