Thursday, September 1, 2011

General Lee

The pic from my last post is of a super sweet tricked out Polaris Ranger.  Somebody spent some "hard-to-come-by" government funds paint this bad boy.  I'm not sure who it belongs too but It's been around for awhile.  My buddy Cody said it was here a couple years ago when he was at Camp Virginia.  I can't get away with cannibalizing a break line from a broke down Humvee some I'm positive I would get away with tricking out our John Deere Gator.  Someone probably just got bored and found a bunch of extra burnt orange spray paint.  The only problem is there is no creeks with broken bridges (ramps) to jump.  Just flat gravel and sand for miles...

So today was descent.  I spent the morning dealing with shit my guys broke.  Another radiator went out in a truck and the A/C in a different truck... on the same night.  I understand now why people in leadership get so pissed off all the time.  It's because when stuff happens we hear about 10x more than anyone.  I can't really hold every one's hand... not that I would if I could anyway, but It's impractical.  Everyone in my platoon is an adult by definition, but the majority don't act like one.  I love to have fun and do fun/borderline dangerous stuff, but responsibility and accountability are two words that are non-existent in some of these yahoo's vocabulary.  They believe that they should be able to use every piece of equipment the Government provides them to the max.  Then when it breaks or something happens they should fix it... no questions asked.  Looking at the way the government operates I can see how they could formulate that conclusion.  Unfortunately a broke down up-armored Humvee in Kuwait is not something the government just throws money at in order to make it operational again.  They (my Battalion) are already working on an investigation of the last vehicle damage incident we had.  More than likely the driver of the vehicle will have to pay for the damage out of his own pocket.  Which is totally jacked up after seeing all the stupid stuff the Government wastes money on every single day.  I'm done talking about that.

After lunch me and one of my guys went down the road to LSA.  Don't ask me what it stands for but it's a little army post about 5 miles down the road where all the soldiers from Afghanistan, Iraq and here go through for their R&R leave.  I had to meet with the LSA QRF Platoon Leader about some stuff we are suppose to be doing... Boring.  Well after that we had to go to "The Rock" or better known as Ali Al Salem Air Base.  It's a Air Force base.  It weird because there is also a Ali Al Salem Kuwaiti Air Base so they are kind of like one in the same.  LSA and both Alis are connected.  The Air Force base is pretty small only about 600 people are stationed there.  They do have hard structure buildings, paved roads and sidewalks made with those freakin paver bricks!  It's wicked nice... for Kuwait at least.  A hell of a lot nicer than Camp Virginia.  Oh yea and they have a swimming pool.  It's ridiculous.  Anyway we had to go their and get some communication stuff taken care of.  We did that then I went back and met the new guy in charge of the Air Forces "Viper Team".  The Viper Team does patrols around the Ali Compound 24/7 and we do joint patrols with them from time to time.  The guy was pretty cool we chatted a bit and then he hooked me up with a sweet map of the area.  Well I told him we were going to go swimming and he was like "Camp Virginia doesn't have a pool?!?", and I was like "No".  He couldn't believe it.  Air Force people got it made.  I should've joined the Air Force.  So we went swimming and it was glorious.  The water felt magical.  It's hard to explain but I felt like a millions bucks afterwards.

Austin and I worked out tonight.  We've been slacking compared to last couple of weeks.  I think we hit it too hard out the gate, but we are working our way back to hardcoreville again.  We have both been dealing with a lot of BS, and it just takes it out of ya.  Here is what we did tonight...

1SEP2011 - Chicken

Bench Press @ 195#     10, 9, 9, 10, 8
Pull up @ Body Weight       12, 12, 12, 12, 12
Run 1/4 mile on the tread meal

So we did that for 5 sets.  The number are the number of reps I did each set.  It was pretty good.  Not too invasive.
             

No comments:

Post a Comment