Monday, July 6, 2009

Shooting Week!

June 28, 2009

I’m sitting here waiting for church to start. I love Sundays! It’s been pretty good, since we’re in white phase now we were allowed to march ourselves to church! That was pretty cool. I marched our group since I’m PG. We did a couple of cadences, it was fun. That is really the main reason why I wanted to be PG…so I could march ‘em and lead PT. There’s been a rumor of us getting a phone call, but I don’t believe it.

We start shooting this week! YEAH! Tomorrow we are going to the place where they have a simulated range. It’s like a big video game. Tuesday we go to the range to group and the next day we zero in our rifles. It’s going to suck because we have to shoot in full battle rattle. That means we wear our IBA (Individual Body Armor), LBV (Load Bearing Vest), and Kevlar (Kevlar Helmet). It is all very cumbersome.

Its warm here…I feel like I do nothing and my clothes get all sweaty. I use the laundry service and the washing machines we have in the barracks. One of my ACU tops came back from laundry with a busted zipper. So I have to send it back on Monday so they can replace it. All the stuff you send to laundry is covered if it’s lost or damaged.

There are a lot of 68W’s in my company. 68W is Military Occupation Specialty…so there are a lot of medics I’ll be going to Fort Sam Houston with in August. It will be good to know most of the people I’ll be with down there. I think if I remain PG throughout the cycle then I get a promotion. They would promote me from Specialist to Corporal. They are both E-4’s but Corporal is an NCO (Non-Commissioned Officer). They have more responsibility and more leadership qualities. I think I might rather remain a Specialist! But whatev.

Sundays are nice but they’re actually pretty boring. We don’t do a whole lot. I don’t mind being bored…I’ll just clean my locker. Hopefully we can go to the Px today. Not just for me but a lot of these guys need deodorant and soap…BAD! There are a couple of people that don’t shower often…GROSS! I have to shower every night. I can’t sweat like we do and not wash that funk off. Having short hair is actually nice. It doesn’t take me any time at all to shower. I’m getting use to shaving too. If my hair was a little darker I would definitely have a 5 o’clock shadow!

No comments:

Post a Comment